The team led by Mr. Larry Walker, Michigan State University visited Sameerwadi on 23rd June 2019
I – KIAAR Activities
- Director KIAAR arranged visit of Nagaral, Kesargoppa and Bisnal farms and discussed,
- Energy cane – Water requirement is less and has high biomass content.
- Drip irrigation – helping water conservation and increase in the yields.
- Farm ponds – construction of farm pond will help in irrigating the sugarcane crop during peak summer period during lack of water in the rivers.
- Various experimental plots with wide row spacing with inter cropping with various crops was discussed.
2. Meeting with Cane dept involving GM (Cane), AGM (Cane), Asst Manager (CD) and Cluster I/cs and Dr. Patil informed regarding objective of the visit of MUS team
23. Arranged presentation of CSR from Dr. Kanavi, AGM (CSR)
- Mr. Yelladagi and team of organic farming interacted and informed,
- Took up to organic farming due to soil health depleting
- To improve soil health took up to green manuring such as sowing of sun hemp / daincha
- Have an average yield of 40-45 MT per acre
- Since last 3 years supplying cane to Renuka sugars and were paid Rs. 300/- per MT additional cane price
- Requesting GBL to procure the organically grown sugarcane for producing organic sugar
- II GBL
a. Convened meeting of Officers of GBL along with MSU team
Mr. Dinesh Sharma, GM (Mfg), Mr. Suryaprakash, GM (Co-gen) and Mr. Godage, GM (Distl) explained in detail regarding the process.
b. Arranged meeting of President and members of Mazdoor Union and Employees association Distillery division
The members expressed,
- Cordial relations of Management and Workers
- Happiness on implementing minimum wages and all other compliance
- Expressed prosperity of farmers / workers / community after the plant was setup in 1971
- Expressed proudness of associating as workers with GBL
Expressed happiness of their children being well placed due to the blessings of Somaiya family
- Mr. Larry Walker, Mr. Douglas Buhler and Mr. Karim Maredla expressed happiness to know the healthy relation of the workers with Management and felt growth of Industry defends upon the healthy relations
Arranged visit to School
- CBSE School – were impressed with the infrastructure such as library, laboratories – Physics, Chemistry and Biology and Play ground and specially were impressed with fibre turf of Basket ball and Hand ball courts
- Visited sugar, Co-gen and Distillery divisions – the team was very impressed with retail packaging facility
- Visited manufacturing of Bhumilabh and Brick manufacturing
We presented Jivana sugar as a token of gesture to the team .
- V.C. Patil, Director (KIAAR) participated in one day national workshop on sugarcane in Pune and presented a paper on “ICT and IoT technologies for smart sugarcane farming” on December 28, 2017.
- V.C. Patil, Director (KIAAR) participated in Smart Agriculture conference organized by Indian Society of Agricultural Information Technology (INSAIT) at UAS, Dharwad and presented a paper on “Water productivity mapping using Remote Sensing” on January 23-24, 2018.
- V.C. Patil, Director (KIAAR) delivered Dr. H.R. Arakeri Memorial lecture on 5th August 2018 at UAS, Dharwad.
- V.C. Patil, Director (KIAAR), Dr. M.S. Kopp, Scientist (TC) and Mr. Sunil Kumar Jha, Junior Scientist (Remote Sensing) participated in SISSTA, 48th Annual Convention held on 21st – 22nd September 2018 at KLE Centenary Convention Hall, Belagavi.
- Director (KIAAR) and Chairman and Managing Director participated in an International Conference on Revolution in Food and Biomass Production held in Cologne, Germany from October 2-3.
- V.C. Patil, Director (KIAAR), Dr. M.S. Kopp, Scientist (TC), Mr. B.Y. Kongawad, Agronomist and Mr. A.M. Jambagi, Soil Scientist participated in 18th Sugarcane Research and Development Workshop at SNSI, Belagavi from October 5-6 , 2018.
- V.C. Patil, Director (KIAAR) and Mr. B.Y. Kongawad, Agronomist participated 32nd Biennial Workshop on AICRP on Sugarcane held from October 17-18, 2018 at UAS, GKVK, Bengaluru.
- V.C. Patil, Director (KIAAR) and Mr. Sunil Kumar Jha, Junior Scientist (Remote Sensing) participated in an International Conference organized by Indian Society of Agricultural Information Technology (INSAIT) on “Research Frontiers in Precision Agriculture” held from October 24-26, 2018 in IIT, Mumbai.